New Jerusalem is a living city, constituted with the Triune God and all God’s people. The gold in New Jerusalem is part of this living composition—it is our life path. Revelation 21:21b says,
“the street of the city was pure gold.”
Our walk from the day of our initial salvation unto New Jerusalem should be on this street of pure gold, the divine nature. This walk is described many ways in the New Testament:
• “the Way” in Acts.
• “walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4)—the life which is Jesus Christ (John 14:6).
• “walk…according to the spirit” (Romans 8:4)—where we are one with the Lord (1 Corinthians 6:17).
• walk in Christ Jesus the Lord (Colossians 2:6)
• “walk in the light” because “God is light” (1 John 1:5-7).
• “walk in love” (Ephesians 5:2)—the love which is God who abides in us (1 John 4:16).
This walk is our living. In Romans 8 and Galatians 5 we walk either according to the flesh, the fallen human nature, or according to the spirit, the divine nature. To walk in the divine nature is to live in the reality of baptism, by which our old man, our old nature, was buried with Christ (Romans 6). This is equivalent to “it is no longer I who live but it is Christ who lives in me” (Galatians 2:20).
Lord, bring us into the reality of this walk today. Our desire is to walk with You in newness, in light, and in love. Keep us on this street of gold from now until New Jerusalem.